COSHH Risk Assessments
Under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations, organisations in the UK are required to conduct specific risk assessments for activities that involve the use of hazardous substances. These include:
- Any chemical that has an orange warning label denoting that it is toxic or harmful
- Biological agents, such as Legionella and HIV
- Plants, flowers and vegetables (they can cause dermatitis)
- Fumes or dust
COSHH Risk Assessments must consider:
- Any hazards that are presented by the substance
- The safety data sheet that is provided by the supplier or manufacturer
- The likely route of exposure (for example, might the substance be inhaled, swallowed, injected)
- The duration of exposure
- The severity of any likely ill-effects on health, and any required first aid interventions
- The methods used to dispose of the substance
- Storage methods and any special fire fighting requirements
We can help with these analyses. We can do this either by conducting the assessments on your behalf or by assisting you to do them yourself by providing you with the relevant forms, examples and support.
We can also provide COSHH risk assessment training.
If you would like further information, don’t hesitate to contact us for an informal chat.