Meet the Training Team
Phoenix Health & Safety provide Health and Safety training courses, accredited by IOSH, NEBOSH, Construction Skills and CIEH for people with responsibility for managing health and safety.
We are so confident in our training team and methods that we offer a Phoenix Pass Pledge on all IOSH and NEBOSH courses.
Dr. Julie RiggsDProf, MSc, CMIOSHA generalist across a broad range of subjects, but particularly interested in occupational health, including mental health and indoor air quality.
Currently working as the Lead Diploma Tutor and Technical Writer, Julie’s objectives are to make studying health and safety more interactive, informative and engaging.
Julie has worked as a health and safety practitioner for the past twenty years, with diverse knowledge in varied disciplines. She has operated at both operational and strategic levels to deliver effective health, safety and wellbeing management programmes which includes compliance, business strategy, risk management, policies and procedures, training and best practice projects. She has presented in the House of Commons mental health research, been interviewed by the Times, featured in various trade journals and been interviewed four times by the BBC.
Julie has a Doctorate and MSc within her field and would describe herself as an academic practitioner.
- Currently an independent member for the HSE’s Fee for Intervention (FFI) Dispute Panel.
- Founder of IAQUK (non-commercial organisation raising the agenda of indoor air quality).
- Writes for various trade magazines, lectures for degree students and speaks at various conferences.
- A writer for Wiley-Blackwell publishers.
- Offers free voluntary advice for a charity supporting Bangladesh textile workers
Julie spends her spare time by completing her wanderlust list, which has included some amazing adventures around the world, sky diving, camel trekking across deserts and staying on rice barges. She is also interested in music and plays several instruments and loves live music events. Julie is also a keen water sports enthusiast and given any opportunity she is in the water. Julie is also a lifelong learner and is keen to acquire new knowledge and skills, currently this includes ornithology.
Ian McKinnonBSc (Dual Hons), PGCert, FRSPH, CMIOSHConstruction, Chemicals, Manufacturing, Microbiological, Biological
Ian is a health and safety professional with over 20 years of experience, post-graduate level qualified in H&S, CTLLS certification.
Ian has over 20 years’ experience in health and safety both in consultancy and training across a wide range of sectors. He specialises in high risk sectors such as construction, science & manufacturing.
He has completed post graduate level qualifications in health safety and environmental management, has the NVQ 4 in occupational health and safety practice and is also a qualified scientist.
Ian has CTLLS level teaching qualifications and has achieved many vocational training awards such as scaffold inspector, COSHH assessor, confined spaces top man and first aid trainer. He is an approved assessor and examiner for NEBOSH and approved tutor for most NEBOSH, IOSH and CSkills (CITB) courses.
He has also published several articles on health and safety topics for national journals such as Practice Manager and Site Equipment. Ian is a Fellow of the Royal Society for Public Health since 2004 and a Chartered Health and Safety Practitioner with IOSH since 2007.
Ian enjoys playing chess, reading science fiction, walking, historical gardens & houses.
Ian got in to health and safety ‘by accident’ as a ‘punishment’ for moaning about site conditions because no one else would do it back then.
Jeremy MitchellGradIOSH MIFSM DipNEBOSHFire Safety and Behavioural Safety.
Jeremy is a Graduate member of The Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (Grad IOSH) and a full member of The Institute of Fire Safety Managers (MIFSM).
Jeremy is from the Caribbean Island of Trinidad and Tobago which in football terms is most famous for producing Dwight Yorke and Kenwyn Jones.
He spent 10 fascinating years within the army touring with the Royal Engineers visiting many areas of this vast world, including Cyprus, the Falkland Island, Kuwait plus served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, gaining a great understanding of how different cultures comes together to achieve strategic goals.
He has completed a technical drawing (Auto CAD) and Building Servicers qualification at the Royal School of Military Engineering.
Jeremy is a big fan of mountain bike riding, antiques, Arsenal Football Club and attending Church.
Johann PotgieterTrainer / ConsultantConstruction safety and training.
Johann has close to 9 years’ experience in Occupational Health and Safety and positions where OSH was an integral part of his duties.
Johann's skills and knowledge include Safety Audits, Construction safety, Environmental Management, International Safety Management systems, Risk assessments, Safety documentation and Legal compliance.
He also has vast experience in Military, Traffic safety and Law Enforcement.
- Stefanutti Stocks Civils KZN. (June 2013 to March 2016) (Safety, Health and Environment Officer)
- Virtual Consulting Engineers/ DELTA B.E.C. (October 2011 to June 2013) (HSE Manager / Operations Manager: Doornkloof construction project)
- LWO Employers organization (March 2011 to September 2011) (Health, Safety and Security Advisor)
Johann has numerous hobbies, including: Scuba diving, 4x4 off road trips, practical shooting (IPSC) and mountain biking. He is also naturally curious and finds everything interesting to a certain degree. He focusses mainly on science, technology and anything mechanical.
Fun fact: He loves chocolate.
Patrick SansomFIIRSM, CMIOSH OSHCR
His professional qualifications include NVQ Level 5 Occupational Health and Safety Practice, NEBOSH Fire Safety & Risk Management Certificate, and he holds an IEMA Certificate in Environmental Management. He is a Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and a Fellow Member of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
Patrick served 23 years in the Army and completed his service as Health & Safety Advisor at the Royal School of Artillery. This involved providing Health and Safety advice and support for Workshops, Security, Gymnasiums and Training Establishments. He has over 15 years’ experience in training development and training delivery, he is an A1 NVQ Assessor and V1 Interval verifier with a Level 4 Certificate in teaching.
Prior to commencing with Phoenix Health & Safety, Patrick was a consultant with Peninsula and has been a Health, Safety and Environmental Manager for a company who conducted regulatory Environmental testing within laboratories for large utility companies.
Patrick likes to fish and enjoys a round of golf.
Ron MuirCFIOSH ,OSHCROver 18 years an examiner for NEBOSH
Ron has over 30 years’ experience in health and safety and thoroughly enjoys giving back to others what he has learnt over that period.
Ron has most of his career in health and safety within local authority. He has also worked as a Civil Engineer, an NVQ assessor for Health and Safety, along with providing training in various Health and Safety courses such as NEBOSH Certificate (General and Construction).
Ron is a big football fan and supports his local championship team Derby County, where he has a season ticket for home matches each year.
Ron enjoys relaxing by playing bingo with his wife at local bingo clubs and also enjoys holidays abroad, and tries to have at least one per year.
Stephen WellsCMIOSH OSHCR Cert.Ed.Consultancy, OH&S Management System Auditor, Internal Auditor: OHSAS 18001: 2007, Safety management systems, Inspections, safety surveys, risk assessments, fire risk assessments, Training NEBOSH IOSH CIEH Qualsafe Health, Safety, Manual Handling and Fire
Stephen is a professional trainer / assessor and NEBOSH Examiner. He has 17 years experience within both the private and public sectors working in the following industries: Armed Forces, Agriculture, Construction, Education, Engineering, Entertainment & Leisure, Food & Drink, Healthcare, Local Government, Manufacturing, Motor Vehicle Repair, Pharmaceutical & Chemical Research, Public Services and Warehousing.
- Experienced and multi skilled in strategic & operational health and safety practice, policy, risk management and project management.
- Qualified to City & Guilds NVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health Practice. (Pending), NEBOSH General Certificate (Credit), NEBOSH Construction Certificate (Credit), NEBOSH Fire Safety and Risk Management (Distinction), Post Compulsory Certificate in Education (Cert.Ed.)& City & Guilds - The Further and Adult Education Teachers Certificate 7307 Stage 1 and Stage 2, D32 / D33 Vocational Assessor
- Dynamic skills in sensible health and safety, leadership, design, development and promotion of safety management systems, policies, strategies, monitoring systems, procedures and guidelines risk management, implementation and maintaining and auditing to BS OHSAS18001: 2007 & ISO 9001:2015 standards, risk assessment, Lead Auditor for the OH&S management system, carrying out inspections and investigations relating to OH&S including accidents/incidents, unsafe equipment machinery and working practices, scaffolding and construction site working, condemning machinery, equipment and work practices where appropriate for safety reasons and providing related reports at board level.
- Provides advice, guidance and specialist risk assessments for radioactive sources, harmful chemicals, pathogens and bio toxins.
- Registered tutor with NEBOSH, IOSH, CIEH and Qualsafe & able to deliver accredited training courses such as: the NEBOSH National General, Construction and Fire Certificates, NEBOSH Award in Health and Safety at Work, IOSH Managing Safely, IOSH Healthcare: Risk and Safety Management, IOSH Working and Directing Safely.
- Highly experienced in designing and delivery of accredited & bespoke training on asbestos awareness, legionella and stress management, health and safety competent person’s workshops, risk assessment, manual handling, working safely at height, COSHH, DSE assessors, accident / incident investigation, fire safety leadership, fire safety awareness, fire marshal and all current levels of first aid at work training, both adult and paediatric.
Stephen has various hobbies, including:
- Watching movies
- Real ale
- Water rescue services
- Event medical cover
Stewart GalwayCMIOSH DipRSA DipSM OSHCR EurOSHM AIFLFire Safety, Construction Safety, Transport safety, Manufacturing, Warehousing Safety, and Property Safety.
Stewart is a highly skilled Senior Health & Safety professional with over 16 years’ experience of providing up-to-date expert advice, nationally and internationally; implementing and maintaining SHEQ management systems, ensuring operational compliance with all subordinate legislation and company requirements through audit and effective engagement with the workforce.
He is an experienced trainer and mentor, instructing and supporting personnel at all levels; influencing key senior stakeholders, providing sound, professional and pragmatic advice and expert support; proven ability to drive and manage organisational change; establishing relationships, experience of dealing with, supporting and advising senior management at strategic levels within the corporate environment. Managing and supporting a national team of Health & Safety Consultants and Trainers.
Stewart joined the military in 1980 where he gained knowledge of the operating systems JSP375, this gave him a sound background in health and safety. He left the Services in 1987 and spent some time in construction as a 715 contractor, and then developed into transport safety as a heavy goods driver transporting various goods and dangerous substances under ADR.
He decided to do some self-study and obtained his first certificate in safety as a dangerous goods safety advisor, he then studied as a plant instructor through NPORS and the CITB and completed his first Safety Diploma through the British Safety Council in 2000. Whilst completing this training, he joined Avon Fire and Rescue as a retained firefighter which he completed in 12 years. During this time he was a trauma care instructor.
He became registered with IOSH, NEBOSH CIEH, IATA, CITB NFDC, and City & Guilds for ADR as a trainer for various accredited courses.
He is currently working as part of the Phoenix Health & Safety team providing health & safety training and consultancy services throughout the UK and internationally; including: USA, South Africa, West Africa Ireland, Denmark and Spain
Stewart also provides consultancy, audits, and training to ensure compliance to international, federal, state, and county codes, including property risk management. He also provides independent and impartial advice to major organisations at board level, ensuring compliance with occupational health and safety systems and procedures, including accident investigation, and fire risk assessment.
Stewart’s hobbies are watching F1 motor racing, dining out, watching a good film and playing Golf.
He is currently the captain of one of his local golf courses.
He is interested in psychology of the mind to help determine human behaviour. One claim to fame in his early years included entering in a fun competition whilst on holiday and he was placed first in the Miss St Ives competition (SCARY).