Covid-safe Classroom Training Courses
Written by Phoenix Health & Safety
16th December 2020
How are we keeping Phoenix classroom courses safe during Covid-19?
High-quality health and safety training is more important than ever. It helps employers across all industries to meet their legal obligations and create a safe, healthy, productive workplace culture. It also enables individuals to advance their careers with practical knowledge and valuable qualifications.
At Phoenix we train thousands of students in the classroom environment each year. Our classroom courses take place at more than 30 carefully selected venues around the UK, and help candidates to achieve vital NEBOSH, IOSH and other qualifications. Here, everyone can make the most of our team’s expert face-to-face tuition.
Covid changes everything
The question, of course, is what happens to classroom courses during the coronavirus pandemic? After all, they involve bringing groups of people together in a confined space, sometimes for several days. Is this possible while we are all living under various levels of lockdown?
A safe solution
At Phoenix, we suspended classroom courses when the original lockdown began in March 2020. Then we set ourselves the challenge of delivering face-to-face teaching in a Covid-safe environment. Our approach has been our “new normal” ever since July.
In the months since we re-introduced classroom courses, hundreds of students have attended them successfully and safely, and the feedback has been positive. As one candidate put it, “The venue was great and felt very safe, with social distancing in place and temperature checks upon arrival in the building.”
Thanks to the Covid-safe measures we introduced, all our currently scheduled classroom courses will continue to take place during 2020 and into 2021. Here are the measures in detail.
Choose the safest venues
Our venues are mainly major hotels and other professional conference facilities. We always choose them carefully to ensure the highest standards of comfort and convenience. Now we also double-check each location to ensure that it adheres to strict Covid-secure measures, and that teaching rooms are big enough to accommodate socially-distanced classes. We’ve reduced class sizes to facilitate strict social distancing.
Create a Covid-secure training environment
Each venue requires every attendee to wear suitable face coverings, undergo temperature checks, and sanitise their hands as they arrive. Sanitiser is on-hand wherever it is needed around the building, and clear signage throughout the venue encourages social distancing.
Our tutors review each training venue and classroom layout against our risk assessment, making any necessary changes if it hasn’t met our requirements. All this is carried out before the students enter the classroom.
The measures we insist upon include:
- The venues follow strict track and trace procedures, enforce segregation in washrooms, and have one-way systems in place.
- Social distancing is enforced in the training rooms, and all students are spaced a safe two metres away from each other and the tutor.
- Our trainers begin by carrying out a Covid security induction and explaining the precautions in full, asking for feedback from students to ensure they feel safe.
- All resources and tables are thoroughly cleaned with appropriate materials before being used by the students, and each evening afterwards.
- We require students to wear face coverings when walking around the classroom and the premises.
- Masks may only be removed when the students are seated for training.
- We check with students repeatedly throughout the training day to be sure that they feel safe in the environment, and make any necessary changes.
- Doors are either left open or door handles are regularly sanitised.
Meals and refreshments matter
No shared buffets are available during the courses; instead, all meals are brought into the training room using disposable packaging. Where there are tea and coffee facilities, we also provide hand sanitiser. This must always be applied before accessing the refreshments.
If you are considering booking Phoenix classroom courses for you and your team, we hope this information will encourage you to go ahead with full confidence.
We are continuing to offer our full array of in-house, online, and distance learning courses as well. We have also introduced blended learning, which replaces face-to-face tuition with Zoom calls, supported by specially developed online resources.
See full details of all Phoenix courses. And if you have any questions, feel free to contact our expert team at any time on 0345 500 8811.