How to study for your IOSH and NEBOSH qualifications from home
Written by Phoenix Health & Safety
11th February 2021
As Covid-19 restrictions continue, working from home has become the norm for many people. But did you know you can also study health and safety training remotely? The opportunity to learn new skills and gain qualifications could even be the "silver lining" of lockdown.
Studying from home is the ideal option if classroom courses are either impossible or impractical for you at the moment. At Phoenix, we offer a range of options, so whichever IOSH, NEBOSH or NVQ qualification you're targeting, there's no reason to delay. You can book your health and safety online course today.
Three ways to study remotely
Phoenix is one of the UK's leading providers of health and safety courses. We offer three ways to benefit from our team's expertise and gain high pass rates while remaining safe at home:
E-learning — all the resources, modules and teaching support you need available via our online platform.
Distance learning — physical copies of books and course notes are sent to you alongside the online resources.
Blended learning — an exciting new option with a combination of live online classes plus e-learning resources.
Which courses can you study at home?
- NEBOSH - You can study all the leading NEBOSH certificates and the National Diploma at home with Phoenix, including the NEBOSH National General Certificate.
- IOSH - We also offer the IOSH Working Safely, Managing Safely, and Leading Safely courses via online learning.
- NVQ - both NVQ Level 5 and 6 diplomas are available to study via distance learning.
- General H&S training - You can choose to study a comprehensive range of short specialist courses online with us too, from Asbestos Awareness to Working at Height.
Tips on studying from home successfully
Most of us have more experience working from home than we would have ever thought possible before 2020. Nevertheless, formal study is a different matter to your normal 9 to 5, and not everyone finds it easy to focus and manage their study time.
Here are our top tips for remote study:
- Make your workstation comfortable enough for long periods of study, whether it's the dining room table, a bedroom, or a home office. Try different chairs and positions, for example.
- Learn at your own pace. After all, freedom and flexibility to study when suits you is one of the benefits of remote study.
- Take regular breaks. Stand up, move around and do some stretches. Sitting in front of a screen for hours without breaks is never wise, especially if you are studying alongside a full-time job.
- Balance work, study and home life — try keeping them separate.
- Give yourself a timetable and targets; this will help you to self-motivate and develop discipline.
What do you need for remote learning?
You'll naturally need a reliable wi-fi connection for online study, along with a suitable desktop computer, laptop, or tablet. The other essential is a quiet place in which to study. You'll learn more from the course if you can avoid distractions and interruptions.
Make the most of all the support
There's no need to worry about feeling isolated while studying remotely with us. The Phoenix team go to great lengths to make sure you have access to support and encouragement at all times.
Your tutors are always on hand to answer your questions over the phone or by email. Our online learning platform also gives you 24/7 access to all the resources connected with your course, along with a wealth of revision materials and previous exam papers.
You can network with your fellow students on our Facebook community group, too. It enables you to chat with our teaching staff and pick the brains of other health and safety experts.
Not sure what you need?
Whatever you want to know about studying for health and safety qualifications at home, speak to us. Simply complete the enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch. Alternatively, you can call us on 0345 500 8811 or email email@example.com